Grant's Mills Bridge was built in 1902. Sixty-six feet in length the builders used a town truss to cross Mill Brook. It served the Town of Hardenburgh, Ulster County, in upstate New York until the 1960s, when it was closed and allowed to sink into ruin.
Author Brian McKee, in his Historic American Covered Bridges (1997), wrote: "The bridges distinctive appearance comes from eight flying buttresses that keep it from twisting or leaning. It has been closed and bypased, but is in excellent condition today, thanks to the efforts of Bob Vrendenburgh. A direct descendent of the original builders, Bob Vrendenburgh undertook the monumental task of restoring the bridge to pristine condition in October 1990. Twenty months and over $13,000 later, the restoration ws completed."
Country Magazine, in its January 2008 issue celebrates the restoration with its article, Blueprint for a Covered Bridge Rescue. Go to: