V.A.O.T. Historic Bridge Committee
Historic Covered Bridge Committee Notes of July 13, 2005 for:|
RIVER ROAD COVERED BRIDGE (#8) IN TROY
Present at Meeting: Committee members Mike Hedges, Warren Tripp, Eric Gilbertson,
Nancy Boone, Bob McCullough, Pam Thurber and Sue Scribner. Also in attendance was Mr. Joe
Nelson representing the Vermont Covered Bridge Society, Michael Canavan from The Federal
Highway Administration and VTrans project manager John Weaver.
Project manager John Weaver provided an overview of the bridge and its current condition using
photos to assist in his presentation. Preliminary plans have been developed and were provided.
- Roof System - It is the intent to salvage the existing standing seam roof where possible. Sections
may need to be removed and then replaced to effect necessary repairs.
- Truss System - Approximately 12 lattice sisters are proposed. As well, it is proposed that larger
splice plates be instal1ed along the bottom chords four on the south truss and two on the north truss.
Additional bracing is proposed for the top chord. The bridge currently has three existing exterior
cross-bracing. It is proposed that two more be added to the three existing currently and that the
bottom brace be increased in size from 8 x 8 to 8 x 10. There was general discussion as to whether
it might be better instead to add additional internal bracing but. the general consensus was that the
exterior bracing was a better option.
- Floor System - No changes proposed to the floorbeams A new nail lam deck of the same
dimensions as the existing is proposed. As well, curbing is proposed.
- Substructure - There is evidence of scour although the abutments are not showing any signs of
distress. It was proposed that the Town be asked to place fill around the abutments. There was
concern expressed over this in that it was felt we should take this off as part of the project.
- General- It is proposed that fire retardant and insecticide be applied both inside and out.
A motion was made to move forward with the superstructure details shown in the plans as
provided by John Weaver with more details to follow on the substructure. The motion was seconded
and unanimously passed.
Chair, Historic Covered Bridge Committee