Return to CB Archive
New Life for Rutland's Twin Covered Bridge
by Steve Miyamoto, Asst. Staff Writer
The Town of Rutland has started a project to bring the remaining Twin covered bridge back
into public use.
This half of the Twin bridge pair has been out of
service since the late 1940's following a flood which claimed the other twin. According to Byron
Hathaway, Town of Rutland Engineering, the initial plan is to restore and move the bridge to a
nearby town of Rutland recreation park. The restored Town Lattice construction covered bridge
would then be enjoyed again as part of the recreational bike path. The initial location choice is
Northwood Park in the Town of Rutland.
The project is estimated to take 2 years to complete.
Mr. Hathaway has secured a $10,000 grant and $8,000 of local money for the project to date. The
final cost of the project is not known at this time. Initial bids are scheduled to go out in January
2002. He is looking to have the restoration completed and the bridge moved into place sometime
Since the 1947 the bridge has been used for a number
of purposes. The town has used it for storage. It has stored road salt and backhoes. Currently it is
being used to store hay. Located off of East Pittsford Road in the Town of Rutland, it has been
resting on temporary abutments to keep the bridge off the ground.
Return to top
Joe Nelson, P.O Box 267, Jericho, VT 05465-0267, email@example.com
No part of this web site may be reproduced without the written permission of Joseph C.
This file updated March 6, 2002