hamden.countdnBack to Chronicles
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2000
Hi Folks - a brief update on Hamden - the Contractor is essentially done and has moved off
site. The County is in the process of removing the steel bents from beneath the bridge and the old
timber pier. We hope to move the shale pad that was used for crane access on the south side over
to the approach roadway. If we are lucky and the shale can be worked without much problem
(concern for frost in it) and if we can provide a reasonable approach grade, then we hope to
reopen the bridge in the next weeks. If so, then we will position concrete barriers as temporary
constraints. We will have to add gravel and the asphalt next spring. We want to wait on installing
the timber guide railing until after the asphalt is placed.
If the shale is full of frost and if we get a lot of snow and rain while trying to get it in place, then it would become a quagmire when it thaws and we do not want that condition. Accordingly, I cannot say at this time when we will know about potential opening - will keep you posted.
I am told that the Town plans a special opening celebration next summer. As always, I'm sure there will be a lot of disappointment with the potential delay - no one more than me. If anyone has questions, please contact me - I'll handle the heat if I know of it. Phil
In the photo above: Van Buiten of Oxford, NY moves the bridge using a cable on a Mack Truck.
Photo to the right: Note the red and green steel I beams which the bridge rolled over and the progress of the bridge.
Below right: They did not place the bridge on the abutments the day of the move. It was left about 6 ft. short. It would be finished off the next few days.
[Captions by Irma Petras]
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000
Irma Petras was kind enough to send me some photos she took of the Hamden Covered Bridge the day it was moved back across the water. I thought you might be interested in them as an update on your web site. Irma said to feel free to use any you would like.
I hope you are staying warm up there...we certainly are trying to here! Burrrrr it's cold!
Happy Holidays to you and yours, Bob and Trish
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000
Hi folks - it's finally over the abutments. Will take quite awhile to remove the steel work and
lower it onto the final blocking.
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2000
Hi folks - slow going getting ready for the move. May be mid Thursday before they are ready
to move it up to the abutments. Would take at least another day to get it across the water, maybe
longer. Once over the water, it will be some time to get the steel out from under to allow it to be
Photo above right: We went back on November 29th and the workers were getting the framework for the portals ready for finishing off.
The picture to the right clearly shows that the bridge is standing on its own over the west branch of the Delaware River.
Below right: The reason they didn't finish off either end of the bridge is in case they needed to make adjustments for the portals.
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2000
To: Bob Munson, Carleton Corby, Dick and June Roy, Joe Nelson, Ray Smith, Richard Allen, Warren Rinda, Wayne Marshfield, Dick and Jeanette WilsonJoe Nelson, P.O Box 267, Jericho, VT 05465-0267, firstname.lastname@example.org
Cc: Phil Pierce (E-mail)
Subject: Hamden Covered Bridge
Good morning, everyone! :-)
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2000
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2000
Hi - forgive me for late notice, but still rather up in air, but expect the bridge to be moved this week. Maybe by Wednesday. Contractor has hired a specialty firm that has moved many large structures. Will be mobilizing tomorrow and starting the process. I'll try to offer an update Monday night. Phil
Date: Tue, 23 Oct. 2000
Hi Gabrielle - it is going well and starting to go faster. As of now, the truss work is done. The floor beams are in. The siding will probably be finished in a day or two. The long deck panels should be going in any time now. The north abutment is being finished on the approach with some short sections of stone retaining walls. The south approach is going to be left as is until the bridge will roll up to the abutments and be moved over the water. After the bridge is on the abutments, then the approach will be finished. Don't know if the metal roofing will go on before or after the move (if it wrinkles during the move [I don't think it will but won't guarantee it.], then it would have to be replaced.). They could be ready to move it in two weeks. We have a lot of details to work out about the move and it will be well rehearsed before we set a date. Phil
No part of this web site may be reproduced without the written permission of Joseph C.